Definition and Purpose
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director – Programs and Wellness, the Coordinator – Intramural Sports is responsible for all aspects of intramural sports, informal recreation, and training for ASI Recreational Sports. The Coordinator-Intramural Sports works directly with professional and student staff to best serve Cal Poly students and the campus community members. Certain non-specialized Coordinator duties and assignments are fluid and are periodically reviewed and revised based on program philosophy, professional development, and staff needs.
Additionally, all ASI employees are responsible for upholding the core values of the organization including but not limited to exhibiting professional behavior, acting as a role model to others, displaying a positive and cooperative attitude, communicating effectively, developing expert knowledge in area of specialization, and working together as a team.
Education Requirements and Qualifying Experiences
- Graduation from a four-year college or university (8 years applicable experience may be substituted for educational requirement).
- Current American Red Cross certification in the following: Adult CPR, AED, and First Aid. Must hold a CA driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to our insurance underwriters.
- Minimum three (3) years experience, five (5) years preferred that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Minimum two (2) years broad based customer service experience.
- Experience coordinating recreation programs for students, preferably in intramural sports, informal recreation, etc.
- Experience in budgeting and fiscal management.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Working knowledge of correct English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- General knowledge of office methods, equipment, procedures, and practices.
- Knowledge of Windows-based computer systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and written; strong public speaking ability.
- Demonstrated skills in group supervision/leadership.
- Ability to gather and analyze complex data and situations in order to draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to coordinate multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
- Working knowledge and understanding of financial record-keeping methods, procedures, and practice.
- Ability to gather and analyze data in order to draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Knowledge of campus recreation intramural sports trends.
- Understanding of basic principles of campus recreation programming and principles of student development.
- Knowledge of proper cash handling methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of business process management software.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds, specific needs, or limitations.
- Directly supervise the Intramural Sports Student Manager.
- Oversee supervision of Intramural Sports Supervisors (12) and Intramural Sports Student Officials (40-60).
- Facilitate meetings, conduct performance evaluations, establish goals, and monitor day-to-day operations
*Please see attached job description for more details*